Saturday, April 28, 2007

i wish i could sew

[warning-this is just a rant, so skip it if you're not in the mood for my cynicism today]

i can't bring myself to order custom clothes for a newborn, but i'm close today. gender socialization starts at birth, and it's driving me nuts!

when Morgan was born, our whole world turned pink (with a dash here and there of lilac purple). i'm not fond of the colors, but that's just an odd preference. what really drove me crazy were the teeny little onsies that said "Future Princess" or "Diva-To-Be." seriously, is there no other option for our daughters besides Paris Hilton and Beyonce? ugh.

now i'm having a boy in a few days, so our world is turning blue and red. the color part is easier because i happen to like blue and red much better than i like pink and purple. but still - "Lil' Sport" and onsies covered in cars and trucks and baseball bats. i'm not opposed to him being a "future quarterback" i suppose, if it is what he chooses. apparently, though, our first and highest hope for our sons as a culture is to become an over-paid professional athlete.

when will we learn?! how many women in your life or in media to you admire who actually grew up to be a "princess"? how many men do you really look up to for being stereotypically "macho"?

i know - the clothes don't determine all. and yes - there are other options (i saw a site for onsies for "Baby Geeks," but they were about $20 a pop). so i guess i'm asking for help from you friends of mine to help me show my daughter and my son that there are other expressions of masculine and feminine that are worth aiming for.

2 comments:

Meredith Brooks said...

Amen, sister! I have looked all over the place for a small, tasteful white leather collar with pink polka dots for Emma! I can't find one anywhere - but I have found an abundance of 'princess' and 'diva' collars! This gender reinforcement issue has even spilled over to the canine world! PS: I'm glad you're blogging! And I love the [something intriguing] title!

Sarah said...

I agree! The "gender neutral" rack at Babies R Us is sad and so small and really only for the before you know the gender time. I like your blog!