Tuesday, May 22, 2007

community v. independence

this one is, perhaps, just a running example of the working out of the first tension i wrote about. i don't think community can happen until Christians mutually choose truth over deception.

several of my favorite authors have written that we are designed to live in meaningful relationship with each other, and that those relationships are crucial to walking out the journey of Christianity. and it rings true in my own experience. i have felt the longing for relationships that have both depth and direction since junior high.

my insecurities make me hesitate. my sin - the inevitable hurt i will cause others just by being human and being in community - make it quite appealing to avoid real community with others and run toward some form of independence...

and all i've found so far is that my longing for real Life Together keep quietly taking over, even against my conscious will at times. i fear being vulnerable enough to be in community, but i am grateful for so many of you who have been patient enough to love me into the kind of community that can be the Body of Christ to the world.

3 comments:

Adam Caldwell said...

Stinkin' hippy, why you gotta get so emotional? I'll buy you a really tight hoody and then you can write really depressing lyrics to pop music. How's that sound?

Anonymous said...

you know I was having a conversation with someone from back home today. and we talked about how when we live in isolation from each other, we build up things. But inside of community we can find comradre in the "nots" of life.

maybe that is why seminary families stick together.

amberly said...

chad - thanks for the comment. agreed.

adam - can't we all just get together and try to love one another right now? peace and love.