Tuesday, June 26, 2007

another way to say it

i just read Annie Dillard's Holy the Firm. i'm not smart enough to attempt a book review of an Annie Dillard book. i've read 3 of them now, and i'm sure there is more stuff i don't understand than stuff that i do. but some passages here and there strike a chord...

"There are no events but thoughts and the heart's hard turning, the heart's slow learning where to love and whom. The rest is merely gossip, and tales for other times."

maybe it's another way to say what really matters. maybe it contributes to my earlier posts that amounted to an amateur exploration of the psychology of blogging. maybe it is what my friend Chad means when he rants about "mommy blogs." Maybe it points again to the things i want my life to be about.

anyway, i think she's right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

amber...i don't think your capable of a "mommy blog"....in a good way

Jason Heron said...

Have you read For the Time Being? If not, I have it and you're welcome to it. I think it's my favorite Dillard.

amberly said...

thanks chad and jason.

i will borrow the book sometime. i think i need to read something else to come up for air, then i'll come get it. thanks

Jason Heron said...

It's yours whenever you want it. What else do you want to talk about in the comments section? Or I could just yell through the wall to Jeremy, and he could yell through his wall to you. Whatever you want to do, whatever topic you choose.

Cindy said...

OK, clearly I'm behind. Catch me up on Dillard. I have to have my young friends to keep me current in the music and book world!

Josh and Candace McCallister said...

Yep, I just read what you wrote a year ago. That's the kind of friend I am... not attentive, but still very sincerely interested.
I think that if we could get Annie Dillard and Wendell Berry to have dinner with us; that would be something worth recording. Wendell's down-to-earthiness, Annie's appalling (refreshing too) version of the faith...man.